Sep 30, 2026

ENGLISH SOPRANO MIRIAM LICETTE (1885-1969) CDR

 


MIRIAM LICETTE (OVER, CHESHIRE, ENGLAND, 9 SEPTEMBER, 1885 – READING, BERKSHIRE, ENGLAND, 11 AUGUST, 1969)





She descended from an English-French family and spent her childhood in Chester, Hong Kong, and Singapore. She was first noticed by Dame Nellie Melba, who advised her to study in Paris with Melba’s own teacher, Mathilde Marchesi. She further honed her vocal technique under Jean de Reszke in Paris and Sabattini in Milan.

She made her debut in 1911 in Rome as Madama Butterfly and subsequently performed in Genoa. She lived in Italy until 1914. During World War I, she became the leading prima donna of the Beecham Opera in London. With the Beecham Opera ensemble, she performed at Covent Garden in the 1919-1920 season as Eurydice in Orpheus (with Clara Butt as Orpheus) and Jaroslawna in Prince Igor. In 1920, she sang the role of Mimi in La Bohème during Covent Garden’s opening season.

As a member of the British National Opera in 1917, she performed as Gräfin in Le nozze di Figaro and Constance in Die Entführung aus dem Serail. She returned to Covent Garden in the 1928-1929 season. In 1935, she appeared on the BBC in a performance of Paul Hindemith’s Cardillac. After her performing career, she retired to focus on teaching singing.

 

Chronology of some appearances

 

1911 Roma Opera

1917 London British National Opera

1919-1920 London Covent Garden

 

TRACKLIST


 

Don Giovanni (Mozart) Batti, Batti (Strike, O Strike) Columbia WAX5021 DX130

Don Giovanni (Mozart) Recit & Aria Mi Tradi Quell’alma Ingrata (Thus Betrayed) Columbia WAX4903 11894

Maritana (Vincent Wallace) Finale (Act2) What Mystery? with Heddle Nash and Dennis Noble Columbia CA11926 63506

Maritana (Vincent Wallace) Pretty Gitana Columbia CA11927 63505

Maritana (Vincent Wallace) Scenes that are Brightest Columbia CA11918 63453

Maritana (Vincent Wallace) Of Fairy Wand Had I the Power with Dennis Noble Columbia CA11920 63474

Maritana (Vincent Wallace) ‘Tis the harp in the air Columbia CA11916 63451

Maritana (Vincent Wallace) Sainted Mother with Clara Serena Columbia CA11930 63502

Pagliacci (Leoncavallo) Finale if thou deemest me so unworthy Columbia 4358 A 5067

Pagliacci (Leoncavallo) Pour the Philtre in his Wine Columbia 4357 A 5069

Pagliacci (Leoncavallo) Pure, yes, I know thou art Columbia 4357 A 5063

The Barber of Saville (Rossini) Can I Be Dare I Believe Thee (act 1) part 1 with Dennis Noble Columbia WAX2871 7801

The Barber of Saville (Rossini) Can I Be Dare I Believe Thee (act 1) part 2 with Dennis Noble Columbia WAX2872 7802

Bohemian Girl (Balfe) Vocal gems, pt 1 and pt 2 (w. Licette) Columbia 9579 WAX 4343-2, 4344-1

Choral symphony, no. 9 in D minor Part 13 last movement (second part) with Hubert Eisdell, Muriel Brunskill, Harold Williams Columbia AX1362 L1781

Choral symphony, no. 9 in D minor Part 16 last movement (Conclusion) with Hubert Eisdell, Muriel Brunskill, Harold Williams Columbia AX1362 L1782

Faust (Gounod) I pray you go with Heddle Nash and Robert Easton Columbia DX97 WAX4833

Faust (Gounod) Now let me try my fortune with Heddle Nash Columbia DX97 WAX4837

Faust (Gounod) Margarita, ah! begone with Heddle Nash Columbia DX98 WAX4838

Faust (Gounod) I know…Look, there she opens the window with Robert Easton Columbia DX98 WAX5430


ENGLISH SOPRANO MIRIAM LICETTE (1885-1969) CDR

No comments:

Post a Comment